c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Monday, March 28, 2005

an update

settling in took longer than expected, but I think things have finally reached a level of normality in the new digs. The apartment looks better than I thought it would-- and has become incredibly homey-looking since I finally managed to get the blasted curtains hung this weekend.

My new job has its ups and downs, of course. Most everyone is as nice as could be, and those that aren't, well, I don't deal with them directly, or at least not everyday, and that's something. I haven't had the opportunity to do anything ultra-creative, but there is the consistent promise of it, and I'm living with that for now. It's hard to be objective, because it's my first work-place experience and the company itself is so new that it's making stuff up as it goes along... I haven't yet run to the classifieds, which is more than my mom can say about *her* new job. (It is a sad day indeed when my own mother, who is quite brainy but not exactly computer-literate outside of Solitaire and MSWord, knows more about troubleshooting than company technical support people.) Though knowing that I am my mother's daughter in many scary ways has got me thinking just how long I'm going to stay the course: then again, my dad stuck with his first job for 26 years (that's the government for ya), so who knows?

Easter was a touch painful-- what with visiting the unliked relatives, explaining and re-explaining what exactly I do for a living to the confused elderly, and then getting a persistent headache from downing one too many mimosas in an attempt to moderate the urge to commit hari-kari at brunch. Two of my favorite relatives were ill (only one in the hospital this time) which also tended to put a damper on proceedings. And of course, there's that beautiful spring weather: overcast with a touch of rain, that so reminds me of normal Cleveland weather that it makes me want to cry.

And on the topic of crying like a baby, my mini-iPod, bestest friend in waiting (next to my kick-ass comfy purple love-seat), died. Or at least, it died and then got resurrected with the help of Applecare (bless their hearts). But as with all things that should not come back to life, it's gone quite insane and there is no remedy in sight save for sending it away to take the waters at Apple Repair Headquarters. (And I'm quite sure this little story would be more touching if I could decide on a name for the Mini but sadly, I haven't chosen yet. Though I don't think I can call it Bunter (the Imperturbable) now...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home