c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

oscars 2005

The nominations are out... and they're mostly more of the same. I have my own favorites, of course, but few of them have solid justification behind them considering I haven't seen any of the films nominated for Best Picture. I will say, however, that I was pleasantly pleased at the lesser award noms, especially the three heads up for my loverly A Series of Unfortunate Events, in the dramatic score, makeup and costume categories.

My greatest joy and biggest pet peeve of the nominations is in the score category. Bless you Academy Voters who did not ignore James Newton Howard's The Village (see my earlier rant here, and damn all those who thought that John Williams needs his 45th nomination for Harry Potter 3. I say this as a huge Harry Potter fan, not to mention a Williams cheerleader since I was little (the first CD I ever owned was the score to Hook). BUT Harry Potter scores have been repetitive since the first movie came out, and the only thing added in its third incarnation was that neat little "Double Trouble" number, which lasted under 2 minutes. THEY SHOULD HAVE NOMINATED Michael Giacchino, for his work on The Incredibles. I don't know how its CD is selling, but it's cleaning up in iTunes downloads. Not to mention that the jazzy, upbeat score is worthy of Mancini himself. Harumph.

And by the by, the Razzie nominations came out as well. The best with the worst, I suppose (though the former is more skewed than the latter...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home