c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Monday, January 24, 2005

the time traveler's wife

I just can't get into it. I keep putting it down and picking it back up, as if it will have changed significantly in tone during some time on its own. I've spent the better part of the recent snow storm trying to make some progress in it, and I've come to a few realizations:

1. Snowstorms and books fit really well together. Nothing like watching the snow drift outside while knowing that you don't have to move from the nice warm couch and your open book, because you really can't bother with much of anything else until the plows come by.

2. Certain women believe that Henry (in their minds, in future movie-adaptations) is Johnny Depp (she mentions with all literary seriousness). A delicious idea, but one that staunchly refused to stick in my head. Henry is simply too cruel to be a Johnny Depp character. A Depp Incarnation may be bizarre on the outside, but he always has a nice gooey, "Love Little Outcast Me, Please, Because I Love You" center. (Depp Incarnations are always polite-- note the "please.") Henry doesn't have a gooey center, far as I can tell.

2b. I do believe that John Cusack would be a perfect fit for Henry, incidentally. Maybe it was all that "little punk" talk (because for whatever the reason, I always connect John Cusack with 80s punk and the Violent Femmes) but he fits better, I think. The coloring fits, and the librarian/punk thing... hm.

3. Neither Henry nor Clare is in the least likeable. Really. (And I am notorious for liking the most unlikeable characters... ::cough:: Snape ::cough:: and making them into demigods.) (This remains a serious literary post. I swear.) I spend most of my time really pissy with both characters and their behavior.

4. I really want to like this book and as painful as it is to leave it half-finished, it's becoming more and more painful to slog through. Augh. I'm having a similar problem with Scales of Gold, but then again, I've known from Book 1 that Nicholas was never going to be as cool as Lymond. (But then, who is? Save certain unmentionable pirates and wizards...) Still, here I am, trying to get through Book 4 while dipping into the irksome saga of Henry and Clare.

Both books do not suffer from lack of plot or writing skills. Why are my books colluding against me??

5. I'm definitely not recommending it to my mother (as previously intended). NOT her kind of book in the slightest. I'd be better off with Lymond, and she can't stand most historical fiction outside of our beloved Amelia books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home