c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

happy election day

Yes, gentle Readers, I have returned. And I have voted in the early morning frigidness for John Kerry. (Hear that, Move On PAC? Please stop calling me now.) It was an experience, I'll give it that. It was my first time actually voting in person, and I was kinda nervous about it. Turning to my dad, I asked him in his infinite wisdom, if he would council me. He simply said, "Hey, if the idiots in Florida can do it, I'm sure you can handle it." (Which was not very nice, as I know some very intelligent people that live in the chaos known as Florida, but it did calm me down.)

Our voting station was the local fire house, which has entirely inadequate parking for the purpose. Consequently, people used their creativity in finding spots for their car to sit while they went to wait in a long, snake-like line that double-backed on itself twice, thus taking up all the room in the *actual* parking lot of the fire station. And no, I was not the only one with a book to keep me company (though I will admit, I think mine was the thickest-- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell without its slip-cover looks incredibly severe and impressive-- people might of thought I was reading the election bylaws or something or other...) ;P

As a result of the creative parking and creative traffic patterns which ensued, of course, a cop appeared... not to sensibly direct traffic, oh no, but to write tickets for two SUVs. (Yes, he was booed by the masses in line. Republicans and Democrats alike united against this nasty cop. They even told the victims that they would testify against the cop in court should they want to contest their tickets.) Ah, solidarity!

Meanwhile, I froze in line because I didn't bring a jacket. Silly me, I thought the massive line would actually be INDOORS as opposed to the parking lot. But eventually, the deed was done-- and where the hell was my Kerry button? Or at the very least my "I VOTED TODAY" sticker? Four billion dollars in advertising, at least two phone calls a day with people educating me on the issues I already know about and telling me to JUST GO VOTE and I don't even get a damn sticker??? (I swear if I get a single phone call today from any of those people I'm going to call them on that. They'll get an ear-full from me, because frankly, I'm sick and tired of running to the phone in a-flutter thinking that finally an interviewer called back to offer me my first job and instead get treated to a thorough listing of why Ginny Schraeder is very good/very bad for the state of politics in the nation.)

Aside from all my huffing and puffing, seriously, folks: if you live in the US, go vote today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home