c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

a personal update

Within this past week I have garnered more than my fair share of "assignments." I say "assignments" because they're technically not jobs; however they do utilize my design skills for a purpose that I wouldn't necessarily employ them for had I not better things to do with my time. At any rate, if Illustrator doesn't crash on me tomorrow and the inspiration holds out, I might get a portfolio piece or two out of these altruistic endeavors and that's something. (Optimism, say my friends. You must start thinking positively. This, after they've known me to be entirely cynical and pessimistic. But I'm giving it the ole whirl.)

One is Christmas-themed, which of course has me on paranoid-hyperdrive. (God help me, please, please, please, let me be employed by Xmas.) Another is based on Oklahoma! which I have not seen and never have been affected with a desire to see. None of my immediate family, not even my dad, the musical guru, has any knowledge regarding its plot save that the story (presumably) takes place in Oklahoma and that at one point, people start singing optimistically about the early morning, significantly dating the material. I've managed to get a sing-long earworm for the wrong state but not much else in the way of practical assistance. (Not that I've looked terribly hard but come on, that Jerry Seinfeld's pretty darn funny, isn't he? Not to mention Billy Crystal singing karoke in that girly movie I love.) So that remains on the research front for tomorrow. And the last one is a secret that won't be revealed until mid-November.

Still planning curricula for the Latin scholars. Managed to find my copy of Mythology, though the poor thing is falling apart rather rapidly now, and read up on Cicero even though the kids most likely will a) not care a whit about how influential he was b) not remember the names and places that are important in the poems they'll translate later in the year and c) not read at all, therefore not discuss at all in class, leaving me to lecture about Cicero for forty minutes or however long their periods are. (Optimism, optimism...)

On a mostly unrelated and closing note, I had lunch with my grandfather the other day wherein the main topic of conversation was the health of my great uncle, his brother-in-law, who's been in the hospital for almost two weeks now, his only remaining kidney causing internal bleeding. Rodney and Janet had just passed away, and they came up in conversation as did the rule of threes. But yesterday, Superman died and my uncle had his first day in rehab. Three legends, may you RIP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home