c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

shopping in the wrong century

Maybe I watched too many episodes of Mystery! as a small child. Maybe it was the pre-junior high Agatha Christie faze I went through. Maybe I'm just odd but period clothes simply rock. Though I like to tell myself that I'm a low-maintenance gal, I have a real desire to be a high maintenance chick that changes clothes several times a day and waves around a long cigarette holder (that's empty because she hates smoking but she loves the look). Born in the wrong century, I guess.

Anyway, scribblingwoman mentioned the Los Angles County Museum of Art in a recent post and in my meanderings through their textile collection, I found a cache of great looking outfits from the beginning of the 20th century:

An evening jacket to die for, right out of an Edward Gorey illustration. With matching cap and shoes.

Three evening gowns: The first resplendant in orange with some very cool looking heels to match; the second very pale and dripping with sequins and embroidery, with a big 'ole flowerburst at the bust; and last but not least, an over the top, slightly oriental number with sheer gold sleeves.

Not that I could pull any of them off myself, but still. Drooool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home