c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Monday, January 10, 2005

50 Books for 05 | #1

And wouldn't you know I start this thing off with a re-read?? ::sigh::

Book #1: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I decided to read it again what with Book 6's publishing date out and my new found interest in a bizarre sub-genre of fanfics (anybody a Snape/Sinistra shipper? No? Didn't even know it existed? Neither did I.). So it really was a bit of a fact-finding mission, coupled with a Snape character study. What did I learn upon re-through?

1. J.K. Rowling is too sneaky for her own good. Dumbledore's speech at the end is so tempting to accept wholeheartedly as the whole truth, what with the crying and all. But I highly doubt it. (Not to mention, the proof for latent vampirism is bolstered by all that talk of blood and bloodlines.) Harry lives because of the protection of his mother's blood-- not to mention the fact that Dumbledore said specifically in Book One that his mother was NOT supposed to be killed by Voldie, and of course, wouldn't say why this was so. (My bet: Snape asked his master that she be spared.)

I also bet Dumbledore knows why Voldemort survived. Why couldn't he have spilled that tidbit in his mini-breakdown??

2. Sirius shouldn't have died. He was too cool for such a quick death. (A re-affirmation.)

3. The Occlumency lessons-- Harry says something in the end to the effect that he thought that Snape might be breaking down his defences (his scar hurt more after their sessions-- he was becoming MORE vulnerable to Voldie's mind etc.) but I'm not entirely certain that's true. What I do think is more likely is that Snape specifically tried to prolong Harry's grasp of Occlumency so that they could find out more about Voldie's plans. The scene where he explains the procedure to him is very interesting-- Snape is quiet and you can tell he's weighing options very carefully about whether it is a good idea or not that lessons begin or whether they should use the information for the Order's benefit.

4. Dolores Umbridge was probably the best villain next to Voldie, just because she made all the teachers hilarious. (Almost as hilarious as golden boy Gilderoy himself.) I swear, that Minerva McGonagall can be snarky when she puts her mind to it.

5. I still hate house elves and the SPEW plot. Just... irritating.

6. I ::heart:: Phineas Nigellus. I can't believe I glossed him over before. Oh, I hope he's in Book 6, bless his snobby snarky self...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home