c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Monday, November 29, 2004

a little light reading...

when I'm supposed to be doing a 1000 and one other more important things. Because I was between books for a millisecond, fanfic has regained its hold and I've caught up some stories I've missed.

First on the list was A.J. Hall's Lust Over Pendle which is shockingly well written and terribly addictive (thanks Tinka for the recommendation). I would have never before believed that Draco could be transformed into Peter Wimsey and I'm glad that I was proved wrong. In fact, I generally make a point of avoiding Draco fic if I can help it (nothing but Snape for me in that fandom, especially Nomad's unparalleled Conspiracy of Silence series and Kaz's slightly naughty Falling Further In) but now I think I'll have to give it a chance. At least with the rest of Hall's work, for now. Also shocking how easy it is to like Draco and forgive him for everything (most likely because I've never liked Harry all that much) and subtle hints of Draco/Hermoine chemistry. (Thank god Hall didn't go with that pairing but still, their odd friendship is so well written that I finally see the appeal of that 'ship. To this extent, my mind was boggled this afternoon.) Anyway, major points for originality make up for any non-canon business and for allowing Neville to be the hero I've always known was in him.

Next, a shocking amount of really awful original CSI fiction featuring G/S that doesn't seem to account for either one of their personalities or any plot whatsoever. (Not to mention a disturbing tendency towards monologuing, spoken and unspoken. Dear God, make it stop.) One expects rubbish from ff.net but the Unbound Forum too? Extremely disappointing. If anyone knows of an archive that has passable fic in this fandom, I would be truly surprised and grateful to hear it.

Lost is finally generating major fiction momentum, not surprisingly. Heaping huge piles of Claire/Charlie fic, and Kate/Sawyer fights it out with Kate/Jack. Best I've seen so far is Comic Book Cliches (K/J), though I haven't been particularly thorough (mostly because I'm no Sawyer fan, and Claire is still undeveloped as far as canon goes-- that peanut butter incident with Charlie a couple eps ago seems to have spawned enough plot bunnies to keep many people busy).

Funnily enough, that led to a great Gilmore Girls fic Any Other Day, my first read in the fandom. And it was pretty darn good, chock full of fluffy goodness a la early Josh/Donna WW fic (think Seasons 1 + 2), not to mention good canon adherement in tone and character (and even as I have only been catching re-runs for a few weeks now, I think my assessment is still valid). Thus another fandom is added to the reading list.

Now that I've got that off my chest, experienced a little bit of guilt that I have at least five stories in various stages of development, some of which I haven't touched in over a year and don't exactly have ideas for further progress for coupled with major plot bunnies for a dozen others that I have no time or inclination to even begin to write, I must go and get some work of consequence done before bedtime or I won't be able to look myself in the mirror later.

1 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Ooooh, I know!! I *loved* the characterization of Emily Longbottom-- such a scene stealer. Thank you so much for the rec; I can't remember when I've had so much fun reading fanfic (not for a good long while, it seems...) ;P

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home