c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Monday, November 15, 2004

a new lymond site

cornflower, in honor of Alder who's just about done with the exquisite Checkmate. (I of course, reneged on my promise to be good and finish Jonathan Strange and instead re-read the silly thing this weekend, falling into giggly-weeping fits at all the good parts. Bad fangirl!)

I've gone for so long without being able to dish Lymond with somebody in person that my latest correspondence with one of my oldest and dearest friends (as a rule, lots of fun) has entered the realm of the divine. Though now of course that I've force-fed my poor friend with Peter Wimsey and now Francis Crawford, I don't know if there exists a third "blue-eyed, blond aristocrat with a habit of quotation, a widowed and feisty mother, a long-suffering sibling and a sensible, intelligent love of his life, written by a woman named Dorothy." (But of course, I've been told to look and report back-- apparently, I'm a "book recommender for life.") Any reader suggestions?

Just for fun, also from cornflower, a highly questionable meme:

Francis Crawford of Lymond
Congratulations, you're Francis Crawford of Lymond, for a time the Master of Culter. You're the hero and the focal point of everything. You're the quintessential romantic hero: brooding, mysterious, witty, informed, gentle, sensitive and all the rest. You should, perhaps, consider doing the dishes once in a while and speak in your native tongue when possible. In other words, show off a bit less. It won't kill you.

Which Lymond Character Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla

1 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

oh, definitely. I'd recommend Lymond to anyone who breathes (and especially to those that love the Wimsey books ;P) Think of Peter as a slightly disreputable Scotsman in the mid-16th century and you have a close approximation of Francis Crawford. He's a bit darker than Peter (themes of suicide, bastardy, incest, drug use etc.), more of an adventurer than a detective, but still a larger than life hero.

Are you considering becoming a convert?? (If not, trust me, I've had most of my acquaintance turn me down in this, so I won't cry... much.) It took my friend three books in to finally get into the spirit of the thing... but if you do manage to take the plunge, let me know how it turns out. ;) The first in the six book series is The Game of Kings and next to Checkmate, I think it's the best of the series. Enjoy.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home