c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

house 2.6-2.8

I know I missed my TV posts for the last couple weeks (nightmarish, don't ask) but to resume...

Two weeks ago: "Spin"
One of the best eps of the season so far. I thought Cameron was a little bit better than she’s been in the past couple episodes, but the self-righteous indignation at the cyclist still annoys. And wouldn’t she totally get fired for that kind of behavior? Seriously, I don’t think you have to be in the medical profession to realize that her ethics are really out of wack. All the Wilson screentime! Brilliant. He completely called Cameron on her behavior; it was a nice throwback to Season One’s dead baby episode when he mentors her and tries to get her to consider a new specialty since she apparently cannot handle the emotional stress of her job properly. And his scenes with House were great-- “Is there a light that goes on when I have food?” Hee.

Though the best part of the night, BEST, was when House walked into the patient’s room and proclaimed himself to be God. And then the jerk gets up, starts walking around, and crashes to the floor-- “This is why I invented nurses. Clean up on Aisle 3!” Re: the Stacy storyline. Ugh. There is zero chemistry between the two of them— I’m not buying it. Though I have been distracted by Sela Ward’s perpetually surprised expression (what is UP with her eyebrows? That CANNOT be natural.) so maybe I'm just missing the subtext.

Last week: "Hunting"
"Spin" = good? "Hunting" kicked ASS. The Patient of the Week kicked some serious ass-- being both funny, heart-breaking and pissy in all the right quantities. (Was I the only one who almost mistook him for Dr. Simon? Maybe I'm just suffering from Firefly withdrawal...) Anyway, major SQUEE! moment when House's address was revealed to be 221B... seriously, I was screeching. The whole Steve McQueen subplot finally showed some justification for Sela Ward's continued presence on the show. And Cameron and Chase got it on while Cameron was doped up on meth she stole from her patient. Yes, that's right. Cameron. Still the same show, oddly enough. There's been talk about whether Chase took advantage of her, or whether she took advantage of him, or if they both were just stupid. I'm leaning towards Option 3. Though Shirtless!Chase... yum.

This week: "The Mistake"
I’m really torn about House last night. I suppose I’m a bit confused about the timeline— I mean, they were very specific about when Kayla’s various medical issues happened but I’m not sure when that fits in with the rest of the season’s storyline. (As in, did Chase know that his dad was dead during the events of last week’s episode, and if so, was that a factor in why he was so sympathetic to Cameron for her wigging out? Did it play a part in why he was willing to kiss little swimmer Andie and grant her seeming-to-be last request?)

Right. Anyway, aside from my mind trying to wrap around the timeline issues, I thought it was good. Liked that Cameron wasn’t the focus of things (for once) and that she wasn’t on her Self-Righteous High Horse when she did appear. Wilson totally rocked— from the paperclip football to the horrible fake accent to the “I guess I’m (Foreman’s) best friend now” -- when oh when will he get a episode? (At first I thought that Cuddy was going to assign HIM to be House’s interim boss— very bad idea, because House’d walk all over him.) Cuddy was immensely likeable even though she only got three minutes of screentime (“we’re not exactly swimming in livers over here!”) while Stacy has returned to being grating. Hopefully there won’t be many Stacey episodes left. I don’t think she would be half as bad if they didn’t have them re-hashing EVERYTHING every time her and House get in a room together. “I love him/I hate him...” Yeah, we get it already, lady. Deal or get out.

I liked the Patient of the Week (Allison Smith! From the good old days of The West Wing! Yay! And how odd that I have a hair-cut scheduled this week— when a couple years ago I asked for haircut similar to the one she had on Spy Game. Freaky. Maybe it’s a sign I should cut my hair short?) and I loved the continuity with her kids saying that the little Ayerson was snooty about their dresses, and how she was going to “key [their] daddies’ new convertible” and then the transplant doctor is Dr. Ayerson whose car gets keyed anyway by his wife! Hah! And it was really nice to have a PotW whose problem wasn’t a series of unbelievable and risky misdiagnoses from the House gang but just one little screwup that snowballed.

House had the BEST lines this week, too. “Chase loves me. And he’s Turkish.” HEE. “Let me tell you a story about a patient.... Let’s call her... Fusan.” “He has pretty hair.” “Hear that crackling noise? Let me know if it changes.”

I thought that Jesse Spencer did a really good job acting in the ep, and I have long been on the road towards liking Chase, but I’m not sure if we really saw any more of his character, and there are still a lot of loose ends in his background to tie up. (When did he get the step mom? Are we ever going to hear about the seminary? What happened to his alcoholic mom?) He has definite desire to please people and not rock the boat so I can totally see him lying to a patient if he thought that it was the best option for getting the patient to relax/take the most appropriate form of treatment/whatever. I don’t think he’s been worse than the other Ducklings insofar as being mean to patients behind their backs. Cameron enters self-righteous soap box mode and cheerfully violates doctor-patient priviledge to rat out on the cyclist. Foreman stood back and didn’t help the prisoner WHO WAS CRASHING because he didn’t think a death-row prisoner deserved to live. And ditto for the homeless guy of Season One. The worst thing Chase has done to a patient was probably the ragging on that overweight girl in Season One, but that’s all I can think of. (I still quite haven't figured out his motives for ratting House out to Vogler other than a desire to get on Cuddy's/Vogler's good side.) So I don’t really understand Foreman being pissy either, except that when Vogler was around, Foreman was the one who suggested Chase should be fired because “[Chase] doesn’t appreciate the job, he just wants it.” Maybe it’s just Foreman’s old resentment because he thinks that Chase was born with a silver spoon in his mouth as opposed to his own upbringing. Or maybe Foreman was just being “House-ian” and arrogantly supposed himself to be a better doctor than Chase and would have nailed the doorknob question (and since he didn’t know about Chase’s extenuating circumstances, he just thought Chase couldn’t be bothered to pay attention to his patient properly).

Anyway, Foreman as boss will be interesting, to say the least. Two weeks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home