c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Friday, October 01, 2004

because I have many, many

... better things to do, I am looking up random things in Morrison's DD Companion and came across the translation of the Latin "Qui nescit orare, discat navigare" -- If you don't know how to pray, learn to sail, mentioned in Pawn in Frankincense. Pretty simplistic Latin that I remember clearly being able to translate (and feeling v. proud, considering I was hopeless with all the French) but the additional comments are quite interesting and include among them a traditional seaman's prayer (taken from the Harleian Collection of Voyages, 1745, Vol. I) that made me chuckle:
O Lord, I am no common beggar, I do not trouble thee every day, for I have never prayed to thee before; and if it pleases thee to deliver me this once, I will never pray to thee again so long as I live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home