c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Saturday, September 11, 2004

venting: angst of the unemployed

so I got off the phone with a really good friend from college who I haven't spoken to since graduation and we're both kinda dissatisfied with life at the moment. It's really sad to find ourselves in such a dismal position, considering that we're both still young (even if we feel ancient) and have the whole of our lives stretched out before us (some of which has to be better than the present). Granted, she is gainfully (but not happily, unfortunately) employed in our chosen profession and living with a veritable frat house of guy friends while I am... not, on both counts (unemployed and with the folks, sadly) but still. Life could be better than this. (Hell, college was better than this.)

Wasn't it not the way things were supposed to be? Wasn't it going to be great, the world's our oyster, top o' the world ma? Weren't we all going to get jobs because we were hard-working and responsible and possessing a degree and some visible talent and willing to learn the ropes of the "Real Design World"? Weren't we at the very least going to be employed, with a paycheck that could cover gas and rent and food, with medical and dental plans? (Free-lancing is all very well and good, but it doesn't help the fact that every time I go back to the dentist, the crazy lady finds "one more thing" to touch up/drill the hell out of etc.)

Granted, I know that I am not half the designer that my friend is. I know that I have little to no "Real Work Experience" short of a summer magazine internship and a semi-glamorous independent project. When I graduated, I thought I was not too shabby; there weren't all that many of us that could say that as a senior they'd designed a published book. And yet, it matters not. (And in hindsight, it's not even all that glamorous either.) I've had one, count 'em, ONE interview since May (for a job which I am perfectly suited) only, of course, to be told some SIX WEEKS later "thanks, but no thanks."

It seems the only way anyone can get a job nowadays is to know someone on the inside who can put forth your name before the available post is ever released to the public. That's how my dad got his job and how I might get a few weeks' money in an art teaching gig. Another friend pointed out the reasonability of this process: that it saves the company a great deal of time, HR doesn't have to wade through 6 million Monster responses, and that not all people recommended through insider nudging are necessarily bad or unworthy candidates for the position. But I still maintain that it's a crappy hiring protocol, because I WANT HR to go through those 6 million responses (that's what they're getting paid for, isn't it?) and I want them to make an educated decision and I want them to give people like me a fighting chance instead of clinging stauchly to "Yrs. Experience" prime number entries (i.e. 3, 5, 7). (It's eeriely like The Hudsucker Proxy when Norville first comes to the Big City from the Muncie College of Business Administration, top of his class, and all the jobs at the employment agency read "EXPERIENCE REQUIRED." It is really not a movie for college seniors. It is not good for the mental health.)

I would really like to blame Bush for this, and have, on several occasions. But a sneaking suspicion tells me that I wouldn't necessarily be better off had Gore been allowed to take office (he did win... but that's another story). But this isn't a political struggle; I find it intensely personal. (Perhaps that is my problem?)

Anyway, if any prospective employers have wandered over to read this, know that I would be more than happy to meet with you. In fact, I'd be tickled pink just to speak to you over the phone. It would be the highlight of my week if you even sent me an email saying you got my package and are considering my qualifications along with the 6 million other applicants' and will notify me accordingly at some much, much later (six weeks later, even) date.

Gee. How pathetic.

2 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

Blog about how it sucks being unemployed...

THEY DOCK YA.

10:52 AM  
Blogger chris said...

ADDENDUM: As per usual, the venting was therapeutic yet practically useless in dealing with the whole "no job in sight" problem. However. Here's where things get funky. This sure thing teaching gig, who I assumed would be ringing me at 8:30 this Monday morning because they've been setting a precedent of early and urgent phone calls, DIDN'T call. Not once, all day. Perhaps it's because they can't get through; the phone hasn't stopped ringing all day with people calling me to see if these people have called. And then someone ELSE who I gave up on months ago emails me and says they're willing to speak to me over the phone about this open position which, defying all odds, is still open.

Hmm. And here I had already begun to plan curriculum. Figures as soon as I came up with some pretty neat projects that I wouldn't need them.

On a side note, I just like to mention that Drew is an exceptionally cool individual who has graced this blog with its first comment. Honored, really. ;)

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home