c o l u m b i n a

"by her keen and active wit, she [ is ] able to hold her own in every situation and emerge with ease and dignity from the most involved intrigues." ~ Duchartre

Friday, August 06, 2004

the spring of the ram

Just finished the second book of Dorothy Dunnett's Niccolo series and I still say the Lymond Chronicles were much better. Nicholas continues to rub me the wrong way, and I can't tell if it's his persistance to alienate himself from his friends or his weird vendetta with Simon (who I am utterly convinced is not his father, no matter what hints are being laid down; I think I can spot a Dunnett red herring after eight books...) or if it's just the fact that all of his friends are meant to be more interesting and worthy of sympathy.

I miss Lymond. *sniff*

Simon's subplot continues to persist, and it continues to irk. Doesn't either one of them have better things to do? I mean, if Simon believes Henry to be his son, then why doesn't he smear that in Nicholas' face and leave it at that, damage done? And Jordan, who is shaping up to be a much better villain and more believable, is sidelined in favor of this?? Katalina obviously will be making waves in the future books, but considering that Henry and his birth was all her fault anyway I don't see how she can attack Nicholas without compunction. I don't like her much either- both her and her sister whine too much.

Violante was amusing, once one got used to her, and I rather have a bit of a soft spot for John le Grant (him and Tobie and Julius. They're my guys.) I still have homicidal feelings towards Catherine for being such a ditz, though the whole scheme with Pagano made for an interesting story-- I liked the battles between Doria and Nicholas and felt really cheated when the great encounter didn't happen. (Come on, daggers with their names on and everything! Stupid Noah.) Still rather puzzled about "the Greek with the wooden leg" and his involvement in the denouement-- I had rather liked him but now I'm not sure if I should...

Only finished one chapter of Race of Scorpions though Carlotta seems to be my type of lady (there's something of Sybilla in her, I think... I hope...). Was snickering all morning with her final lines:
She watched the girl run, and wondered what quality of men Sante of Bologna employed, and whether they were sober. She had no great hopes. She had long ago concluded that the world would be a more efficient place if managed by women.

Hee. ;)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home